Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Poor Sammy!

I'm back from an extended trip to Nantucket. We're keeping our fingers crossed that we'll have an occupancy permit soon and we'll be able to move back into our cottage.

While I was away our Lab Sam had a medical emergency. Sam suddenly developed a huge cyst. Initially the vet treated it with heavy doses of antibiotics with plans to surgically remove it. It responded well to the drugs and a decision was made to cancel his surgery. While I was away the cyst reared its ugly head and Sam had to go to the emergency room. The next day he had surgery. It was shocking to see how big the incision was. Poor guy!While on Nantucket I stayed with my good friend Nancy Chase. She let me tinker around her ivory shop while she worked. I found a beautiful slice from a whale tooth in one of her scrap caches. I sanded and buffed it and Nancy put it on a piece of leather. I now have a beautiful necklace that serves a dual purpose as an eye glass holder. The picture doesn't do it justice.
I brought my knitting with me on my trip but did not knit a stitch. Tomorrow I leave for Boston for a few days.

6 comments:

Becka said...

Love the necklace, how cool that you made that!
Poor, poor baby! That is quite an incision. Hope all is well now!

Leslie Shelor said...

Awesome necklace! And poor Sam; glad he's OK!

Sandra D. said...

Oh dear, poor Sam! Or maybe lucky Sam, considering he has such good parents. I'll keep positive thoughts headed his way. Also headed your way for that occupancy permit!

Re the drum carder - yep, got the bug pretty badly! I haven't used it yet, though.

vanessa said...

poor sam!

girls just want to have spun! said...

oh poor sammy!!! i wish i was there to give both of you guys a hug.

TutleyMutley said...

Poor poor Sam - Bet it didn't put him off his food though? or did it? Hope his coat returns to its full glory soon - my Tilly is just getting her belly fur back now - 4 months after HER op.

NO wonder you didn;t get any knitting done - labouring on that beautiful necklace.